This weekend I’m sharing one of my favorite makes of the year so far, this super easy high collar sweater. I used a burnt orange neoprene fabric that I picked up from a trip to New York. I have found that most people who sew have a love or hate relationship with neoprene, but I fall in the love category.
I love the structured drape that can be achieved with neoprene but in the past I have stuck to making full circle skirts with neoprene which are absolutely stunning and flattering on most body types. But for this project, I wanted to try something different, even though I bought this fabric with something else in mind.
Pattern: Simplicity 8738 view B, I cut an XXL
Modifications: I stayed pretty true to the pattern for this look, although I could have cut a size XL but I wanted an oversized fit. Since I like to push my sleeves up to my elbow, I made the sleeves fitted because the original cut was for a boxy sleeve look. I also made the back a bit lower than the front for an extra bit of detail.
Pros/Cons: Since I am a lazy sewer who likes quick rewards, this pattern provided just that…a quick reward. I can definitely see myself making multiples of this pattern, with different fabric choices since it’s so easy to make.
Just like here, I mostly pair this sweater with ripped jeans and booties, or sneakers. Easy peasy and super chic.
I really want to make a sweater dress with this pattern, also using a neoprene fabric…maybe electric blue? I think that’ll look stunning.
Till next time!
It’s been a while innit? So much has happened since my last post! The biggest thing is that I got married to my love (insert heart emoji here) and that should explain my absence from the blog and all social media for the past few months.
But…back to the matter at hand, which is the origin of this stunning but amazingly simple sweater dress. After the stress of the wedding, I hit my sewing studio with a vengeance as sewing is great for relaxation (that is, when you don’t get frustrated by a certain suit lining that refuses to lay in place!). But while getting back into sewing, I happened to dig back into my stash of sewing patterns and found a pattern that I had been meaning to sew for years. Mccall’s M6886 was a great pattern for sewing this basic, midi sweater dress. I added a turtleneck collar and gave the dress some added fitting below the hip for a more fitted, sleek look. But otherwise, stayed true to the original pattern.
Pattern: McCall’s 6886 view B, I cut a size 20
Modifications: I added a self drafted collar for the turtleneck and came up about 1 inch higher on the front neckline in order for the collar to attach properly since the original bodice has a bit of a dip neck. And since I wanted a bodycon/fitted look, I took off about 1.5inches from each side from the bottom and shaped it up into the hip.
Pros/Cons: It is a pretty easy pattern to follow and cutting and sewing took me less than two hours so I’ll definitely be making multiple views and versions with this pattern. The only con here is that I didn’t really care to be bothered with matching my stripes. I am way too lazy to be working with stripes or fabrics that require any sort of extra arrangement. Not the pattern’s fault though, that’s all me.
I used a striped knit fabric from the sale room at G street fabrics for $2.97/yard, so this dress was a steal and will be on heavy rotation this season, I’ve already worn it twice since it came off my machine.
Until next time!